permaculture - Re: [permaculture] pc aquaponics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Daniel Jager <dfjager@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] pc aquaponics
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 11:15:04 -0700 (PDT)

I don't see any arguments crumble actually. I see misunderstanding and
misinterpretation of natural processes.

I remember that they tried to grow this famous wild berry, Cloudberry, in
Finland artificially, on peat sods in a hydroponics system. They couldn't do
it. It died no matter what they tried. It apparently only grows wild. And
this is just one example.

True, the products of *natural* hydroponics, seafood and sea vegetables, give
the best nutrition to man. Why not stick with that instead of trying all
these artificial things. No matter how hard you try, the whole of the ocean
is infinitely more complex than the best aquaponics design you can ever
create. So why bother.

Another example: Using semi-wild species and direct seeding those in even
fairly poor soil will still give you a healthy plant. I observed this many
times here in Thailand. My direct seeded semi-wild guavas grew healthy and
strong in even relatively poor sandy soil, whereas my grafted, superior guava
cultivars planted in excellent soils continued to attract pests and fungus no
matter what I did. Same with my custardapples, my pomegranates, my lime-trees.
After the floods in Thailand, I saw many plants (more than half of which were
wild edibles) sprout up naturally from seed... absolutely healthy. But most
grafted and transplanted trees died, and many planted vegetables after the
flood suffered from pests and diseases.

How would one explain that? Or is the story of plant nutrition and health not
fully known yet. And is creating even more artificial systems then really an
answer?

Daniel