permaculture - Re: [permaculture] pc aquaponics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: georg parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] pc aquaponics
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 19:34:16 +0200

Thank you folks, for the numerous responses. I learned a dramatic amount in this discussion. To sum up my personal learning highlights:
*) AP is an ecosystem of it's own right, with even bigger numbers of invisible life forms than soilbased ag;
*) The high oxigenation is a major key to the high plant growth in APs;
*) The permaculture-ness of AP is not in the method, but how I integrate it with the rest of my system, e. g. production of fish-food [plant waste, red wrigglers, mealworms, maggots], the needed energy, how I insulate [dug-in, lean-on or free-standing greenhouse], how I market, what other uses I find for my greenhouse, etc.

Thank you all who contributed.

Questions I do have now are:
*) What about foliar feeding the nutrients that might be short in supply in the water? Some of this was covered in the excellent compilation about comost teas, etc. - Thx, Lawrence! - but I am lacking the information how to choose my EM or tea ingredients in order to target specific lacks. Any information on that available?
*) I do not grok the seawater growing thing. a) I believed that most plants are not salt tolerant. Yet I read that they lushly thrived on seawater. Is either advocate lying or is there a synthesis to this that I do not grasp? b) If salt is good for plant health (and I also know that some salt is good for fish health, for they tolerate more salt than some of their parasites) - why not simply dump seasalt into the AP?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Georg Parlow
g.parlow@gmx.at
1230 Wien, A-Baumgartnerstr. 4/B1/013