permaculture - Re: [permaculture] energy inputs and year round growing was Re: soilless crop production

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Market Farming <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] energy inputs and year round growing was Re: soilless crop production
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 12:56:47 -0400

On 9/12/2012 7:04 PM, Toby Hemenway wrote:

What "84% of the energy expended is in production" says to me is that
production is where the improvement can be gotten, as you suggest.

Local, small-farm food, has a far better chance of having a small
carbon footprint than commodity food.

The leverage point is in the growing, more than in the transporting.

Food Hubs
=========

Local Orbit
http://www.localorb.it/
Re-linking the Food Chain

Local Orbit is building flexible, localized tools designed to help people build healthier communities through better food.

Our web platform provides custom online marketplaces and back-office infrastructure for businesses and people working to increase local food distribution.

Local Orbit has evolved through two years of conversations with farmers, food producers, chefs, eaters and people working to solve food distribution challenges. We've heard countless stories about disconnected markets and inefficient communications.

People are hungry for food that's produced by farmers, ranchers and artisans they know and trust. They want to spend a larger share of their food dollars in their own communities.

Local Orbit's services create stronger, more efficient food networks that can meet the demand for food that’s produced closer to where we live.

<>

The Six Rivers Market Organization
http://sixriversmarket.syminet.com/

Six Rivers Market’s mission is to preserve and promote local agriculture while providing the community with a vibrant and convenient year-round home-grown food source.

As community members join together in supporting the cooperative, we help each other to secure a safe, local food supply. The more the community utilizes the system, the lower the costs will be for each user and the greater the benefits will be for all.
Six Rivers Market is a grass-roots organization that relies heavily on its membership for volunteer support on delivery days, coordinating and attending special events, and marketing Six Rivers Market through word-of-mouth. Please become an active part of your cooperative by:

• Volunteering at a delivery day by contacting the manager at info@sixriversmarket.org.
• Coordinating or helping at a Six Rivers Market special event.
• Representing Six Rivers Market at a community event.
• Advertising your business through Six Rivers Market Member Services listings.
• Sharing your feedback on what you like about Six Rivers Market and how it can improve.
• Simply sharing Six Rivers Market newsletters or marketing materials with your friends and co-workers!

If you would like to contribute in any way, please contact us at info@sixriversmarket.org.

How does Six Rivers Market work?

Six Rivers Market runs on a “shopping-cycle system,” meaning that product is available at set times each week and varies week-to-week according to season and availability.