permaculture - Re: [permaculture] scholarly articles about rotational grazing practices on campuses?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Heenan Doherty <heenandoherty@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] scholarly articles about rotational grazing practices on campuses?
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 05:38:55 +1000

G'day,

Though I haven't been there the municipality of Curitaba in Brasil have
been at least using sheep (I don't know if they are using planned or
'rotational' grazing though I suspect they are doing a version of the
latter) in public open spaces. I found this reference which suggests a few
people a having a crack at doing the same in the US:
http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/devnews/urbanshepherds060712.aspx .

Certainly sheep are an excellent tool for public open space management due
to their small, fast to decompose droppings and general ease of management,
though one would need to use good multi-wire fences such as provided by the
KiwiTech system or Premier1 Sheep supplies in the US and their e-Net type
fence. Both of these systems are fast to erect and move, particularly the
former and so in the management of any planned grazing in any situation the
best graziers we know use this product. Considerations such as shearing may
have people work with meat breeds such as the Wiltshires' due to their
lower maintenance and general hardiness.

We grew up with cattle and sheep and indeed horses often being tethered or
fenced in verges throughout town and so on but now that practice has more
or less disappeared as if from another age. Grasslands need herbivores
however and vice versa so if we are going to have public spaces of grass
and meadow and silvopasture then we should as a no-brainer have livestock
such as sheep munching it down and not mechanical mouths...

All the best,

Darren Doherty

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:18 AM, Hannah Roessler <hannahroessler@hotmail.com
> wrote:

> These folks may have info for you:
>
> http://citygrazing.com/
>

> > From: christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org
> > Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 07:27:22 -0600
> > To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
> > Subject: Re: [permaculture] scholarly articles about rotational grazing
> practices on campuses?
> >
> > Voice of America had a repeater station near Punta Gorda Belize, during
> the contra war in Nicaragua, with hundreds of acres of fenced in land, and
> they ran sheep and cattle on it to keep the grass down.
> >

> > _____________________________
> > Christopher Nesbitt
> >
> > Maya Mountain Research Farm
> > San Pedro Columbia, Toledo
> > PO 153 Punta Gorda Town, Toledo
> > BELIZE,
> > Central America
> >
> > Country code 501-630-4386
> >
> > www.mmrfbz.org
> > www.facebook.com/MayaMountainResearchFarm
> >

> > On Sep 13, 2012, at 1:39 AM, Justin Hahn wrote:
> >
> > > I'm studying attitudes toward the use of animals to manage lawns and
> woody
> > > perennials on college and other campuses. I haven't found much
> literature
> > > on the topic in the various scholarly databases (EBSCO, JSToR, etc),
> and
> > > was wondering if you permies have any good articles to suggest?
> > > Google message archive search:
> > > site: lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture [searchstring]
> > > Avant Geared http://www.avantgeared.com

> > Google message archive search:
> > site: lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/permaculture [searchstring]
> > Avant Geared http://www.avantgeared.com

> Google message archive search:

Yours & Growing,

Lisa Heenan & Darren J. Doherty
*
*
*
*
*LATEST NEWS*
*HD Newsletter July
2012<http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=670d8369d8cefb9f213ed1afb&id=7a7aff7d4f>
*
*2012 Regenerative Agriculture & Living Series EU & AU*
*Joel Salatin RAP @ Taranaki - October
2012<http://joelsalatin_2012.eventbrite.com.au/>
*
*'Polyfaces' <http://www.facebook.com/polyfaces> - Why isn't this normal?*
*
*
* <http://www.facebook.com/heenandoherty>
*
**

*HeenanDoherty Pty. Ltd. ACN 159 903 483*
*International Education
*Regenerative Media & Products
*Broadacre Design & Development
*International Agents for Mr. Joel Salatin <http://polyfacefarms.com/> & Mr.
Eugenio Gras <http://mashumus.com/>.

<http://www.facebook.com/HeenanDoherty><https://twitter.com/#!/heenandoherty>

*Darren J. Doherty,*
Director, HeenanDoherty Pty. Ltd.
Head of Regenerative Agriculture, Ecosystem Investment Management Australia
Pty. Ltd. <http://www.eima.com.au/>
Vice President New Soil Security Inc. (US)

Web <http://www.permaculture.biz/>
<http://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz>
PhotoLog <http://picasaweb.google.com/permaculture.biz>
Darren J. Doherty
CV<https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7niWOHzJ1X4dXJidHo1Q3hUMGM>

HeenanDoherty P/L Trading
Conditions<https://docs.google.com/document/d/15lqWIl5_d-MyysmZKRhVsT2bPN_zZT8943K3tP4j8mQ/edit>
HeenanDoherty Blog <http://regenag.blogspot.com/>

*HeenanDoherty Pty. Ltd. Brands:*
Regenerative Agriculture (Australia) ABN 65 110 845 209
*www.HDShed.com
*www.HDWorldEvents.com
RegenAGĀ® (USA)
skype: permaculture.biz
phone (AU): +61 431 444 836
phone (UK): +44 (0) 7742 189 474
phone (US): +1 917 254 1736

*HeenanDoherty Provider & RegenAG International Links:*
<http://agriculturaregenerativaiberica.wordpress.com/>

<http://www.regenag.co.uk/>

*Other Great Regenerative Agriculture Links:*
*
*
*www.RegenAG.com.au <http://www.regenag.com.au/>*
*www.MasHumus.com <http://www.mashumus.com/>*
*www.RMSGadzia.com <http://www.rmsgadzia.com/>*
*www.PolyfaceFarms.com <http://www.polyfacefarms.com/>*
*www.TaranakiFarm.com <http://www.taranakifarm.com/>*
*www.SavoryInstitute.org <http://www.savoryinstitute.org/>*
*www.HolisticManagement.org <http://www.holisticmanagement.org/>*
*
*

Note: If you do not wish to be an addressee on the HeenanDoherty database
then please advise us & you will be removed from future dispatches.....

This message is only for the use of the addressee. The contents of this
email (including attachments) may be privileged and confidential. Any legal
privilege is not waived by mistaken delivery. If you are not the intended
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email or attachments
to the intended recipient please notify the sender by return email or by
telephone on +61 (0) 431 444 836 and purge the message stored in any
electronic medium.