permaculture - Re: [permaculture] energy inputs and year round growing was Re: soilless crop production

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] energy inputs and year round growing was Re: soilless crop production
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 12:37:06 -0400

On 9/13/2012 8:07 AM, Bob Waldrop wrote:
I doubt that the study discussed any social justice issues involved with
moving food from poor countries to rich countries. A few years ago, I
had my roof replaced. The roofers were all from the same village in
mexico. They had been farmers in Mexico. But then, one day the Mexican
government showed up and said that their land, which they had been on
for generations, was actually the property of a North American
Corporation, so it was hasta la vista to their farms. So it came to
pass that they ended up fixing my roof in Oklahoma City, instead of
growing food in Mexico. Now their land, which used to grow food for
Mexicans, grows food for North Americans.

I campaign against this. If Mexicans can't grow and export that food on their own land, privately owned or through their traditional "common land" system, hundreds of years old, then Americans should do without and develop local food networks to supply their food needs, eat what is in season only or grow their own.

I sometimes say that buying out of season produce during the winter,
imported from the third world, is like snatching food from the mouths of
hungry children. Fiery rhetoric, no doubt, but I think it alas is true.

Those are my thoughts exactly. Right on, Bob.

See the video "The Violin".

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma Food Cooperative