permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Nth American Conference

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Nth American Conference
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 22:10:02 -0700 (PDT)

I wasn't suggesting Darren come here for the conference! This is a national
conference, why not stick to our own crew? In the past, he and others have
been criticized by some because of traveling internationally by air. There
was no thought to what good they were doing. If someone in that country could
do as good a job, then they should be hired. But often that is not the case.
And most of those who travel make it a point to train people locally who can
take over. Under those circumstances I see advantages to flying.

Another example: a lot of positive change was created by experts flying to
Haiti. There are many thousands of people using compost toilets and knowing
how to build and run them safely, now. The compost is being used in some
cases to grow trees to reforest the heavily deforested areas or local food.
Was that worth the plane trip?

I add up: some of the economic injustices being reversed, cholera and other
human waste generated diseases gotten under control in those areas (maybe
hundreds or thousands of lives saved), reforestation - by many thousands of
trees, many people more aware of the principles and tools of permaculture,
Haitians meeting some white people who weren't there just to rip them off or
"take over", local food supplies being regenerated, etc. I think that is more
than worth it.

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition