permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Nth American Conference

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Pilarski <friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Nth American Conference
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 18:41:53 -0700 (PDT)

Some of us have thought about, and talked about, a North American PC
Convergence at some length.  Much of it not on the list serve.

I have proposed that the national be rotated around between the regional
convergences already happening.  Still waiting to hear if any regions want to
volunteer to do the first one.

Another scenario is for a consortium of organizers from different bioregions
to come together to organize the national.  The more regions represented the
better.

In the first scenario the national would rotate around the country sometime
on the coasts sometimes in the middle, etc.

In the 2nd scenario a location could be picked relatively central to the
country.  Ideally with good access to a big airport and even more important
(I think) on a major Amtrak rail hub.  Another criteria would be an active
local permaculture group to help do the local work needed.

Chicago is a great railroad hub but doesn't have a strong permie group (to my
knowledge).  Cincinnati, Denver? Bloomington, Indiana? Ideas? At this point
any good offer by a strong group can be put forward.

I imagine that in every region there would be a few or a dozen people who
would work to make it happen.

Lead time.  6 months would be good.  3 months minimum.  The networks are fast
these days.

It seems like part of the goal would be to bring a lot of the movement
old-timers together along with a lot of the course teachers and the new
blood.

The main purposes being to build the movement, exchange strategies, build
networks etc.  Not permaculture 101 how to do a sheet mulch.

A few thoughts.

Michael Pilarski

Michael Pilarski