permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Nth American Conference

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Nth American Conference
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 17:51:57 -0700 (PDT)

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/facts_figures/fact_sheets/pages/environment.aspx

http://www.seat61.com/CO2flights.htm

http://environment.about.com/od/greenlivingdesign/a/fly_vs_drive.htm

Though plane flight creates significantly more carbon footprint, I am not
completely opposed to using planes - it really depends on whether or not what
you're doing is going to significantly offset the use. What if the trip would
lower pollution and land abuse over the long term, at significant gain? I
think it's ridiculous to question the use of planes by people like Darren
Doherty, for instance, when he is planting thousands of trees or revitilizing
significant acreage in a way that could last for generations.

I prefer trains myself whenever possible - quite comfortable, you can walk
around on them, and I can catch up on all the reading I might otherwise never
get around to. Plus in some areas, the scenery is fabulous. I saw my first
bald eagle in flight riding in a train through a remote wilderness area. He
flew right alongside my window for a bit.

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition
www.meetup.com/createclearwater