permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Biochar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <robyn@permaculture.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Biochar
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 11:41:44 +1100

Thanks Toby - that's one of the clearest succinct explanations I've come
across.

I've been following this thread and getting a bit frustrated by some of the
posts. I echo Toby's thinking on biochar.

Here's my take on how we use it here.

Some of my colleagues here in Oz have been doing research for many years and
we hold an annual biochar workshop at Djanbung with some the local bio-char
gurus and pioneers. We've been experimenting with making and adding small
amounts of biochar to the gardens here for the past 4 years and while no
rigorous scientific documentation and monitoring has been undertaken, we are
seeing positive results.

We use mainly woody weeds (not conducive to composting), excess stick wood
and 'waste' trimmings from the bamboo harvest for making biochar. We
pound/crush it so it's fine to pea size bits before adding to the garden and
find it's been improving soil structure by providing a greater diversity of
particle size in our very clayey soil. Our best results have been when we've
first soaked (i.e. activated) the biochar in compost tea. We add the biochar
when we add compost to the soil before mulching, and are now considering
mixing some into our compost heaps.

We have a clayey loam soil - more clay than loam - which has a tendency to
self compact, so every few years we break up the compaction by forking the
soil open (not turning it) in the veg garden before mulching and planting.
This is when we add fresh compost and biochar. We also add biochar when we
dig up root crops or tractor with the pigs so it gets down into the deeper
layers of topsoil.

Nutrient loss through leaching is a big challenge in high rainfall tropic
and subtropic soils. Biochar provides a stable 'habitat' to hold nutrients.
That's one of the key reasons why the terra preta soils were so productive
in the Amazon.

No one technique is a cure-all for everything, however wise use of biochar
definitely has a very positive role to play. I was initially quite sceptical
about the claims and am not one to jump on the latest fad-bandwagon, so I've
checked the issues, pro's and con's out fairly thoroughly.

I have nightmares about indiscriminate large-scale industrial biochar
production, but see that local biochar production through pyrolosis can turn
a lot of otherwise difficult to compost or productively use organic waste
into a durable carbon sink that improves the soil.

A local biochar enthusiast is making and selling neat little biochar stoves.
http://biochar-store.biocharproject.org/ I'm getting one next week for my
main cooking devise - will set it up on the veranda off my kitchen. I have
loads of small stickwood for fuel and I want to reduce, if not eliminate, my
use of gas for cooking. Our beautiful bioregion and many other parts of Oz
are threatened with Coal Seam Gas mining and some of Australia's best
farmland has already been polluted and compromised by fracking. I feel a
strong moral obligation to boycott this whole industry so the Biochar stove
gives me the perfect wood cooker with a net positive environmental impact.

Robyn

--
Permaculture College Australia inc
Pathways to sustainability through

Robyn Francis
International permaculture design and
sustainability consultant, educator & facilitator

Djanbung Gardens
Permaculture Education Centre & Demonstration Farm
PO Box 379 Nimbin NSW 2480
02-6689 1755 / 0429 147 138
www.permaculture.com.au