permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Biochar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Biochar
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 02:12:10 -0800 (PST)

Toby,

If we accept the view that plants only feed by receiving free ions, then what
you say makes sense, but in that case there is no point of going to all the
trouble of maintaining a soil biology; in fact, we might as well feed the
plants directly with water-soluble fertilizers. Nevertheless, I think even
mainstream soil scientists do not deny that plants can also absorb
macromolecules or even entire proteins or bacteria. If we understand that,
maintaining soil biology becomes tremendously important and organic farming
becomes an urgent necessity.

To define humus as a medium for maintaining CEC is the reductionist view of
the chemist. Humus does much more. Firstly it breaks down OM. Why would
the microbes that specialize in breaking down OM need to live in charcoal
apartment buildings? To live and work in different places is an idea of homo
sapiens – and a fairly recent one at that. The breaking-down microbes need
to live and work in the OM.

Next, why would the microbes that got fat on the OM have to hide in those
charcoal apartment buildings? They are not supposed to hide anywhere; on the
contrary, they are supposed to be eaten by protozoa, nematodes and other
predators that produce the substances necessary for plant growth.

And finally, why should the microbes and fungi that colonize the plant roots
to feed the plants want to live in the charcoal apartment buildings? That is
not where they are supposed to be. They are supposed to colonize the plant
roots, or else they cannot feed the plants.

So what type of microbes needs to live in those charcoal apartment buildings
at what stage of decomposition, transformation or plant growth and for what
purpose? Each soil organism has a precise place and time of action. Once
that action has been accomplished they make way for something else. Simply
to say there are more microbes is not significant.

Microbes like all other soil organisms are part of humus. They are not
separate from humus. They become humus when they die and humus becomes
microbes when it is eaten by microbes. At one time the soil is teeming with
some types of microbes and at another time there are hardly any at all
because there is nothing for them to do. Then a certain type of microbe
suddenly proliferates as a result of some work needing to be done:
decomposing OM, hunting bacteria, feeding plants in spring, etc. I can’t see
what the precise function of charcoal is in all of this activity.

Humus, like life, is a dynamic process and not a static substance. In the
cycle of life, the idea of a stable substance has no place or function –
there is only change.

Dieter