permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Biochar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Biochar
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 00:52:43 -0000

Sorry Toby,

but I am not a microbe and my house is not made of carbon.
I did the tests with charcoal and found reduced growth and less soil life. Charcoal does not work, it is inert imo. And I am confused that people can say that during charring 40% of carbon is saved. Imo again this could only happen if outside energy sources are used to produce the charcoal. By weight only about 5 % is left if the timber is it's own energy source for charring and yes maybe 40% of the volume is left. Not the same thing.

Anybody want to contribute in saving the planet from overheathing then plant a tree or switch of all electricity for an hour once a week for this would save a ton of coal to be burned to produce that electricity. How many tons of charcoal do people produce in a week?

The whole charcoal hype is like peeing in the ocean to keep the water levels up at best imo. So the one saving grace of charcoal might be that it stimulates plant growth and I have definitely not seen any sign of that. I see immediate results from compost and mulch. If you want to save or make money it does not help if you embed large denomination notes in a resin and then burry them which is to me what charcoal making resembles.
Of course humus and OM has a turn over where charcoal has not but it still sequesters more carbon. Of course trees will eventually die and decay, just make sure you have other saplings growing by then.

And if no person questioned well established facts we would still be living in the dark ages on a flat Earth.
john