permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Keyline Design - "Challenge of Landscape" book

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Richard Archer <permaculture@juggernaut.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Keyline Design - "Challenge of Landscape" book
  • Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 08:41:04 +1100

On 15/10/11 12:12 AM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

On another topic I am wondering about drought conditions here and in
Australia, and Texas too. Looks like we may be entering a dry spell
here in Chapel Hill, little or no frozen precipitation predicted for
NC this winter whereas much more of that in states nearby, especially
upper midwest and northeast.

If neighboring states are receiving average precipitation and it's dry near your place then that's probably just a statistical anomaly. In this case you can expect to receive average rainfall in the months ahead. But if winter precipitation makes up a major portion of your annual rainfall then even average rainfall could leave you in a difficult position water-wise.

Australia had been in the grip of an El Nin~o event for the last 8 or 9 years. But the drought broke spectacularly last summer with massive and widespread floods. More cyclones and floods have been forecast for this summer. El Nin~o and La Nin~a are linked cyclic systems. So if we're in drought, North and South America experience above average rainfall.

So now we're having floods and above average rainfall, you could expect to receive below average.

I'm not sure that the effect of El Nin~o extends to the Carolinas... I would expect your weather to be governed more by Atlantic systems, although all weather systems are linked.

One of the likely effects of climate change are more unpredictable and extreme weather events, including periods of below average rainfall. If you are highly dependent on access to water, it might be worth investigating the option of sinking some dams or wells/bores.

...Richard.