permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Keyline Design - "Challenge of Landscape" book

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Keyline Design - "Challenge of Landscape" book
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 13:54:25 -0400

On 10/14/2011 9:12 AM, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
On 10/14/2011 7:17 AM, Richard Archer wrote:

None of them have pictures or maps that relate to the fictional
property. The text reads as if there's supposed to be an accompanying
image, for example:

"Looking at the contour map we can spot almost at a glance the
localities of all the most suitable dam sites."

He may have assumed that you looked at the existing example contour maps
and using those as a guide, created a mental image of another,
appropriate for the proposed plan he was describing.

It would be strange to write that if there was no image. You would
instead write "By looking at a contour map...".

Thanks for looking these up Lawrence. I think I'll just have to use my
imagination, although I must say I do learn better visually for this
type of concept and I was really looking forward to the worked example.

For something like this, yes, I would agree. However this does stimulate
to move forward with your comprehension of his techniques by creating your own,
original map as opposed to simply copying his work. This could be considered
a good thing, encouraging creativity in design, method and technique through study,
calculation, observation, documentation and record keeping and application through
experimentation and refinement, finally installation of systems that work.