permaculture - Re: [permaculture] PReventing and treating cholera, advice

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kelly Simmons <kelly@bouldersustainability.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] PReventing and treating cholera, advice
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 18:46:19 -0700

Hi Cory - After spending some time in the tropics and contracting several bouts of e coli infection, I have learned that it is CRITICAL to prevent flies from entering latrines and especially! from leaving them. Even with the seat down, they easily crawl between toilet seats and the rim of latrines and exit the same way, as they are attracted to light. This is true of composting toilets and all other non flushing latrines. Waste is not always perfectly covered by sawdust or other carbonaceous materials in composting toilets, and flies can carry disease, (i am assuming cholera as well) out of the latrine or composting toilet to nearby open air food supplies, food prep areas, counter-tops and etc.

Bananas are high in potassium, often readily available, and could be mashed and made into a gruel to which salt could be added for rehydration, along with copious amounts of water. I'm speaking hypothetically here, as I haven't tried low tech rehydration.

I don't know if iodine is readily available, but although it tastes kinda bad, the liquid drops are fairly inexpensive and it doesn't take much to kill pathogens - 10 drops to a liter, I believe.

Best wishes with this important project!

Kelly Simmons