permaculture - Re: [permaculture] PReventing and treating cholera, advice

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: loren luyendyk <loren@sborganics.com>
  • To: Permaculture Listserve <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] PReventing and treating cholera, advice
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 22:44:08 +0000

Hi Cory-

BioSand filtration offers the most complete and cheapest way to filter water
that I have found. The Center for Affordable Water Sanitation Technologies
(CAWST: http://www.cawst.org/en/themes/biosand-filter) has done 15 years of
reasearch on materials and residence time. CAWST is doing work in Haiti with
cholera prevention
(http://www.cawst.org/en/about-us/news/271-update-from-haiti).
They have reported only one case in the villages that filters were
installed. They may be good to contact for in-country partners.

The filter is made from cement, sand, sheet metal, and some plastic tubing,
all locally available in most parts of the world, for very little expense.
The model they have developed is suitable for a single household, though it
is scalable for larger installations. The two most important factors are the
type of sand and washing practice (river sand- don't wash out all of the
silt), residence time of water in the filter (10+? hours), and filter media
(schmutzdecke layer of algae and micro-orgs that consume pathogens). The
filter takes about 3 weeks to "mature", so is a medium term solution.

Boiling and SODIS (solar disinfection) also may help in emergency situations
where a filter is not yet installed. I also heard that Opuntia ficus-indica
(prickly pear) will disinfect water if the pads are crushed and mixed in.
Also water chestnut by the same method.

Coconut water from young fruit is the best electrolyte known to man. It may
help to re-hydrate, though in large quantities the young meat can be a
laxative.

good work-
Loren Luyendyk
(805) 452-8249