permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Perma-Data needed!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: loren luyendyk <loren@sborganics.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Perma-Data needed!
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 21:52:45 +0000

An established system (20 yrs) like Path to Freedom has harvested 6000 lbs of
produce on 1/10th an acre= 60,000 lbs per acre.

A typical mono-crop corn field may yield up to 200 bushels per acre = 70 lbs
per bushel = 14,000 lbs per acre.
The record soy yield is 155 bushels per acre = 60 lbs per bushel = 9,300 lbs
per acre.

Those are some BIG differences. Granted you will harvest many types of
produce with different caloric values from a diverse cropping system.
Perhaps this could be calculated as a caloric difference per acre.

Loren Luyendyk
(805) 452-8249
www.sborganics.com
www.surferswithoutborders.org