permaculture - [permaculture] cedar-apple rust

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] cedar-apple rust
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 11:15:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Cory,

I've spent most of my life in Cascadia where western red cedars are
everywhere.  Cultivars of these are some of the more commonly-planted cedars.
As far as I know, these are not a problem for apples.  Incense cedars, on
the other hand, have a reputation for carrying the cedar-apple rust fungus,
and they are also widely planted, yet I know of apple trees growing in
southern Oregon where incense cedars are abundant.  Serviceberry (saskatoon)
are very vulnerable, however, with most berries destroyed some years.  I
would contact Burnt Ridge Nursery to ask for disease information and
resistant varieties, letting them know you need low-chill varieties (I
assume) for southern California.  Or, just plant western red cedars and avoid
the other cedars and junipers.

Good luck,

Rain

>From amillison@gmail.com Sun Sep 5 17:19:57 2010
:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type;
bh=CY/nQGByv+NUb+TLg6dtV8NkRp3E36BeU/s16som2uM=;
b=EQRq8Mr3u3JTB4k/rpcAe1LjcfaRqTZCPzfF2xNcX7Stbj7k5AVYd2fXCHH8lmd+wq
6xyv5D2NUZ+lLesbdpTRDLvaAfGcL3a3nWna6Nvv5AQ7fHe6TG85GUTv43etGE32SvSm
B5BlPBliLkN4wTUAM2LCFkOIvwMiXXAjGSapUDomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1;
c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma;
h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to
:cc:content-type;
bûhDDyT9JwbMzShvxWn8//Gj3CUFSMKwjQiQ7GX0tBdoq7q3leLQGTYV9mEvwkdSLj
aUsflToU49+LVw3FbUO7ZlTTlqfDzDgFuuRrivHHpcf9SqAtUhO7/ZJY6SM7LpVBgps3
nXr1IZlhvHTQhloO+UowSttNftRnm4c+Fd/IsMIME-Version: 1.0