permaculture - [permaculture] Carbon Neutral Permaculture and Urban Ag

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jenny Pell <jennypell@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Carbon Neutral Permaculture and Urban Ag
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 22:31:05 -0700

Hi everyone,
I'm a permaculturalist from Seattle, WA, and am on an advisory team to City
Council on Carbon Neutral Food (there are 6 teams including energy,
transportation, etc.). I will be presenting the food piece in about 10 days
in a Town Hall meeting, and will be integrating PC strategies throughout. I
would be very grateful for any ideas and examples of carbon neutral food
systems we may well have overlooked - keeping in mind that no-one has
defined carbon neutral. I'm keen on organic edible perennial polycultures
for urban settings that also can sequester carbon, and especially "action
items" that City Council can influence. Examples: large-scale - helping to
develop a bio-regional organic label, mid-scale - planting large yield nut
trees in Seattle Parks, small-scale - defining neighborhood food-sheds and
facilitating the establishment of urban farms. They are worried that people
will cut down big canopy trees in order to have sun for gardens - I'd love
to have a great response to that. Our climate is maritime NW - wet and
cool, but we can grow peppers and peaches in the right micro-climates.

Thanks for your time and creative input,
Permacordially, Jenny Pell
--
www.permaculturenow.com
(206) 949-0496

  • [permaculture] Carbon Neutral Permaculture and Urban Ag, Jenny Pell, 09/06/2010