permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Perma-Data needed!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Andrew Millison <amillison@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Perma-Data needed!
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 22:15:10 -0700

Hello,
For those of you who sent me messages wanting to find out how the search for
Permaculture data went, I've pasted the section of my proposal where I cited
the data and information.

Thanks for the suggestions folks,
Andrew

Some examples of measurable data for design strategies incorporated in
Permaculture systems are:

*Passive Solar Design: *In Davis, CA, apartment units in a building with
proper passive solar orientation (elongated East-West with long walls facing
South and North with roof overhangs) were measured 17 degrees F warmer in
winter and 24 degrees F cooler in summer than buildings with poor passive
solar orientation (elongated North-South with long walls facing East and
West). (Hammond, Jonathan, Marshall Hunt, Richard Cramer, and Loren
Neubauer, *A Strategy for Energy Conservation: Proposed Energy Conservation
and Solar Utilization Ordinance for the City of Davis, California,* City of
Davis, August 1974.)

*Intensive Food Production*: A typical industrially farmed corn field may
yield up to 200 bushels per acre @ 70 lbs per bushel = 14,000 lbs per acre.
(Logsdon, Gene, *Small Scale Grain Raising*, Chelsea Greene Publishing,
2009). The record soy yield is 155 bushels per acre @ 60 lbs per bushel =
9,300 lbs per acre (
http://deltafarmpress.com/cullers-soybean-record-155-bushels-acre). An
“Urban Homestead” in Pasadena, CA, utilizing many Permaculture strategies
produces up to 6,000 lbs harvest annually on 1/10 acre and grows 99% of
their produce. That’s 60,000 lbs per acre of diverse organic foods. (
http://urbanhomestead.org/urban-homestead)

*Rainwater Harvesting:* A 1000 square foot house in Salem, OR, can collect
over 24,000 gallons of water per year from the roof. In Bend, that same
house can collect nearly 7,300 gallons per year, water that can be stored or
used beneficially in the landscape, reducing municipal storm drain load and
improving stream water quality, which is one of the overall goals of the
City of Salem’s Stormwater Master Plan.

*Community Safety:* In Portland Oregon, where a neighborhood center was
created by painting a mural in the intersection, building benches, building
gardens, posting a community bulletin board, and creating other features in
the public space, 87% of respondents to a survey said that they feel safer
and there is less crime now in the neighborhood, and 86% said communication
between neighbors increased. (PDOT Survey of Intersection Repair)

There are countless potential yields and benefits from Permaculture systems,
including craft and cottage industry based employment among others. Low
income housing and assistance using Permaculture design can provide people
the opportunity to lift themselves out of desperation and poverty, and help
them to develop meaningful skills that can feed and provide for their
communities. Some potential transferable skills from a Permaculture course
to other fields are Landscape Design and Construction, Ecological
Restoration, Mycoremediation, Food Production, Urban Planning, Architectural
Design, Stormwater Management, Ecological Building Construction, Community
Organizing, Surveying, Earthwork and Pond Construction, Farming, Forestry,
Land Development, Solar Electric and Solar Hot Water System Design and
Installation, and Trail Maintenance and Erosion Control to name a few.