permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Movement thinking (was Designing a, Movement)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Movement thinking (was Designing a, Movement)
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 02:46:06 -0700

Kevin--

Why would you be surprised that another human being has biases? Of course I
do. I don't pretend to speak for, or to, the whole world. I speak from my own
limited experience. And I find these conversations where we're talking past
each other tiresome. A conversation requires a genuine effort to comprehend
the other.

Since you're a smart guy, I can only think that your missing my point is
deliberate, for whatever reason. I hope this is clearer: Step outside your
door, wherever you are, and start asking people if on ethical grounds they
would refuse to work with someone in the armed forces. Start reciting to your
neighbors Patrick's or Nicholas's litany of the crimes committed by the US,
or Britain, or whatever imperialist country you live in. See how much
sympathy you get; how soon the first door is slammed. Or are you really
unaware of what a tiny minority we--most of those on this list--are,
politically, in comparison to the people we are surrounded by? I'm from a
city that voted 81% for Obama, but most of my neighbors are far to the right
of me and would quickly slam their doors. I 'm not under the illusion that
the whole world, or even my neighbor, thinks like I do. If a majority of our
compatriots really hated corporatism, there would be far less of it. That's
why I think permaculture, if we teach it as a political movement, has gone
and will go pretty much nowhere. Presenting permaculture through a
radical-left bias is a completely pattern-illiterate approach. I object to it
on the same grounds that I object to making students hold hands and sing
about Earth devas. It won't make anyone a better designer, and it will
alienate anyone not in the choir. The material is transformative in itself;
we don't need to treat people like they are lost sheep in need of saving.

For every successful movement, there are a thousand failed and forgotten
ones. I don't like those odds, and think there are smarter ways to present
permaculture to people.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com