permaculture - Re: [permaculture] animals in food systems

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] animals in food systems
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 08:17:15 -0400

Diane Frances wrote:
I would love to learn more about how to create meals that provide balanced nutrition without using animal protein and hope we can start a thread on this subject.

Hello Dianne:

Sounds like you've got a nice farm and have accepted the challenge of making marginal land work for you. A previous thread on soil improvement, double digging, tools should prove useful to you.
I too have an interest in non meat protein dietary options and have explored this subject intensely since the early sixties when I discovered vegetarianism and macrobiotic foods. Later I learned much about raw foods nutrition.

Just for starters here is a list of non meat protein sources that I
select from daily. I do eat meat but like to rely on vegetarian choices as often as possible.

food yeast, brewers and red star (yellow flaky)
beans: I like precooked, canned beans, whole or refried
sprouts
nuts
seeds (especially pumpkin, sesame, sunflower)
peanuts
grains, especially barley, rice, oats, corn
soy products: tofu, tempeh, soy milk, fermented: miso, tamari
collards

As far as growing your own, much of this list can be produced on your own land, some easily, some not so. Setting up a sprout farm is a good thing. There are very many seeds and beans that can be sprouted for use
cooked or raw in salads, alone or on sandwiches.