permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Double-dug?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dick Pierce <dickpiercedesigns@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Double-dug?
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 15:35:37 -0600

Soil structure and double digging - a very good question. So, to Chapter
2........

As most know, Nature placed her layers of soil in order and for a purpose.
The standard mold-board plow turns these layers upside down - the reverse
that Nature intended and it's damaging in the long run. So, one should be
curious and careful of any tilling technique to be sure that it retains
Nature's layers and disturbs the soil and soil biology as little as
possible, and for the good where it does.

Double-digging has this respect - Jeavons cautions students and
practitioners to not "turn" the soil as they dig the trenches. Rather, the
spading technique is to dig a spade-full and "drop" it off the spade blade
into the trench without "turning" it. In most decent soils soils this
happens easily and the spade-full crumbles in to medium sized clumps upon
impact in the trench - if clods are too big, they can be broken up a bit
with a gentle vertical poke from the spade (remember that fine soil or very
small clumps is another problem with tilling).

The 2nd dug layer is done by loosening the subsoil with a spading fork, so
no plowing/turn-over should take place. Also, many double-diggers dig double
only once - in subsequent seasons they only dig/spade one layer and often
this is with the spading fork only to loosen the soil. Each succeeding
season should see fewer tough weeds and more stubble/organic surface mulch -
thus lessening the need for tilling. And the microbial activity in the
loosened soil should start to work on it's own to "let the critters do the
double [even triple] digging for us."

Thanks for bringing up a good point. It really helps to get thee to a
double-digging or bio-intensive workshop - usually 2-8 hours - many more
subtleties and helpful techniques can be taught/discovered in a hands-on
class. Double-digging is one of my favorite examples where something can be
taught 2X quicker and 4X better outside and hands-on than inside and
lecture.

G'Luck

Dick Pierce