permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Double-dug?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jacque Greenleaf <jacque@book-woman.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Double-dug?
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 21:22:56 -0800

Hi Frances, I'm in SW Washington state where we get about 25" of wet stuff annually, with dry summers.

Typically, we have wet springs, so a raised bed is good because the soil warms up and becomes workable sooner. People in the wetter areas to the west have issues with slugs/snails harboring in the sides of constructed raised beds. We are on a basalt plateau, drainage is not great and the soil is very shallow in spots, so raised beds were definitely the way to go for us.

So where are you?

Jacque