permaculture - [permaculture] arid soil building

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] arid soil building
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 13:21:59 -0800 (PST)

We live in a classic Mediterranean climate, with about 35 inches of rain that
comes in intense bursts that usually start from the middle of October and
start petering out in April.  I feel there must be a lot of knowledge about
this climate given its long history in Europe.

I have started to compost in pits because it takes so long above ground.  I
have even used tarps, as was recommended.  They help, but I really need to
irrigate the piles to see reasonable results.  We have all sorts of fungi
from the forest nearby, so I don't think inoculants are necessary.

Part of my problem could be that aside from the first year, when we had
record floods, we have been in a drought.  Maybe this is the new normal,
however.

We collect and use all of our humunure and urine, and I bring in a ton of
leaves and straw from around our site.  I also have several long-term wood
compost piles.  I finally broke down and got some rock dust, zinc sulfate,
and gypsum, for specific areas.  I've also brought in forest soil from nearby
for the main food forest and kitchen garden, which also got a layer of horse
manure from a neighbor.  I'm thinking about spraying seeweed on trees that
are doing the worse.  In general, however, I really want to minimize off-site
inputs.

As far as biochar goes, the soil actually has a fair amount of charcoal from
past fires.  I couldn't justify putting all that carbon in the air by burning
all the wood around our site.  If I wait long enough, a wildfire might do it
for me, however.  Hmm, interesting.

Rain