permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Overly optimistic permaculture attitude towards land

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Overly optimistic permaculture attitude towards land
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 17:24:41 -0500

Certainly no experience of the legal part. I have a B.A. in anthropology and
an M.A. in the social sciences specializing in human systems theory. My wife
is a licensed psychotherapist. So we have been interested in both the
psychology and anthropology of creating human systems that work. Indigenous
tribes had thousands of years to evolve social systems that worked in the
ecosystems they lived in. We are starting from scratch in many ways.

I think going slow is good. In Santa Barbara there is a strong neighborhood
exchange system that is working. People meet in neighborhoods to exchange
home grown produce, seeds and plants. Now it is expanding to anything that
can be freely exchanged. The community building has been amazing to watch.
Moving to rural farm areas and building a community from scratch may be
harder than reconnecting community within a town or small city.

Larry