permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Thanks everyone for the healthy debate ::: on Copyright Infringement on PERMACULTURE: A Designers Manual

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Thanks everyone for the healthy debate ::: on Copyright Infringement on PERMACULTURE: A Designers Manual
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:26:42 -0500

Evan Schoepke wrote:
Thanks for the good points all around...
I think this is a great debate for permaculture that goes way beyond
this particularity important book and overall very healthy and has lots of
room for compromises.

No matter how you twist the facts in order to rationalize in your mind the
taking of someone's
copyrighted work and making it available in unlimited quantities to the
general public, you
are doing something that is immoral and unethical. You want to convince folks
that by making an
important literary work available for free you will generate more sales for
the author.
This seems to me to be pretty flawed reasoning and most folks would question
your motives from the start,
to say the least. Just because you _think_ you can afford to give everything you own away to anyone you choose doesn't give you the right to foist that mindset upon others without asking.

These well chosen and hilarious comments from Kathleen come to mind, if I can
quit laughing long enough to type Ctrl-V: