permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Svar: Re: Svar: autumn Seedballs?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Svar: Re: Svar: autumn Seedballs?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 12:57:22 -0700 (PDT)

Thomas,

>I have to admit that I share this critical view (of science),
>as we ignore the complexity of the system.

I think analytical science does have its practical uses.  It is just that it
takes such a dominant role in modern society.  Pronouncements of scientists
are sometimes viewed like absolute truth, when in reality they are subject to
change like everything else.  What’s more, scientific research is often
motivated by hidden political or economic considerations.

Basically, what is missing is a holistic view of things that will put the
fragmented findings of analytical science in relation with the whole.  For
example, when science can do genetic engineering, society ought to be able to
decide if we really want to go down that road based on moral, social and
political considerations instead of being forced into it by particular
economic interests with their paid scientists and political lobbying.

Dieter