permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Svar: Re: Svar: autumn Seedballs?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Thomas Jahn <tpj@life.ku.dk>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Svar: Re: Svar: autumn Seedballs?
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:19:12 +0200

Basically, what is missing is a holistic view of things that will put the fragmented findings of analytical science in relation with the whole. For example, when science can do genetic engineering, society ought to be able to decide if we really want to go down that road based on moral, social and political considerations instead of being forced into it by particular economic interests with their paid scientists and political lobbying.

Dieter

I have often been listening to non-scientists about their attitude towards genetic engineering - without interrupting them or even introducing myself as an expert. It has been very interesting. And I see that there is a broad scepticism among the man on the street towards the way science is leading the development. Like a basic instinct that warns them from following this road.

The shocking thing is that scientist who really ought to know better have placed themselves in a position, where they cannot be critical any more. They have lost the foundation where they potentially could find solutions. What is left is exactly as you say: "economic interests with their paid scientists and political lobbying".

I love science. But I had to realize that there are already plenty of people doing that type of thing, I have been doing.

I have decided to stay in science and to work at the Academy with the aim to re-create awareness. It's going to be a tuff way. But I know what to do. And finally I can use my competence as a molecular biologist, something that was not helpful in the discussion with the man on the street.

I will take the chance at this point to post the link to a movie that I strongly recomment to everybody here. It's split in 13 parts. To see all the movie takes 2 hours. So take your time. For Michael Moore it took 4 hours, as he watched it two times in a row.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl1v3xPYnqo&feature=player_embedded

Maybe it has been seen here before as it is from 2007. But I just follow the mailinglist since a couple of weeks.

cheers
Thomas