permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Svar: Re: Svar: autumn Seedballs?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Svar: Re: Svar: autumn Seedballs?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 02:47:50 -0700 (PDT)

Thomas,

Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail.

>…he (Fukuoka) always advised his students, not to
> do as he did, but rather to find their own way.

This is a key phrase all who read Fukuoka ought to keep in mind.

>As he has not moved from his farm for several decades,
>his experience maybe very much based on the particular
>local environment.

I think with his experience as a biologist and farmer he was very well aware
of different circumstances even if his foreign experience is limited to a few
short visits.  Nevertheless, the oriental mind prefers to deal with the
concrete and specific and has difficulties grappling with generalities.
Thus, in my view, his description of farming techniques are to be understood
as an expression of his specific experience and not to be used as generally
valid rules.

>So what is reproduction exactly?

To many people the most salient or perhaps the most tangible fact about
Natural Farming seems to be its rejection of plowing.  I don’t see it that
way.  Anyway, for Fukuoka the spiritual dimension seems to take precedence
over specific farming techniques.  But even if we leave aside the spiritual
dimension, I think to grow food crops by the “natural soil fertility” without
fertilizers (including organic fertilizers and all other external soil
amendments or inputs) is at the heart of Natural Farming.  To avoid soil
disturbance is just one means of achieving this end.  If farmers in your
region find this works well under their local conditions, then by all means,
use it.  If, on the other hand, cultivation without plowing is difficult or
even impossible, you need to find other ways of maintaining soil fertility
that are not destructive to your environment.  In fact, even in Japan, where
conditions are most favorable, many Natural Farmers use
plowing.

I have tested this under very different and extremely difficult conditions.
After 10 years of improving the very poor soil of this region, I can grow
many crops without plowing and without fertilizers on a small scale with
techniques that are more akin to mulched gardening.  For farmers in this
region to grow without plowing is all but impossible.  Even chemical no-till
wouldn’t work very well.  But I think it is better to plow than to use
chemicals.

>I am pretty positive that in permaculture and natural
>farming, a substantial amount of nutrients is absorbed
>as organic compounds.

Do you mean absorbed (taken up) by plants?  That would appear to contradict
what you said above about compounds being decomposed to inorganic ions before
taken up by plants.

Incidentally, almost all Natural Farming pioneers (Okada, Fukuoka, Kawaguchi,
etc.) take a very critical view of analytical science.  Fukuoka is of course
a scientist himself, which seems contradictory.  But then, not all in life
runs along the straight lines of human logic.

>Another reason may be the selection of varieties.

Natural Farming without seed saving is not possible.  Commercially available
seeds were bred to be grown with soluble fertilizers.

>The decomposing organic matter supplied through
>green manures is probably the most efficient way of
>making nutrient bioavailable for the plants.

That may depend on circumstances.  In this region, traditional farming uses
manure and plowing.  I try to use cover cropping, green mulching, mulching as
much as possible, however, there are limits.  During 6 months of dry season
with high temps and zero rain, all annual vegetation dies, and without
humidity the dried vegetation doesn’t even decompose.  Hence, to use hey and
straw for heap composting or for fodder which will then produce manure may in
some situations be more efficient.

But I agree that in future farming with fewer and fewer farm animals, green
manuring and cover cropping may be the only alternative to chemical farming.
That is were Natural Faming may provide some useful working models..

Dieter

PS: Apart from not plowing, the other idea that has fixed itself in the mind
of many is the necessity of using a clover cover crop or the like.  In fact,
Kawaguchi like most other Natural Farmers in Japan doesn’t use clover or any
other cover crop.  Instead they try to use the natural weed cover for growing
food crops and only use weeding/mulching when necessary.