permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Where is the ideal permaculture land?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Juergen Botz <jurgen@botz.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Where is the ideal permaculture land?
  • Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 22:42:56 -0300

I was just visiting some friends at the North Adriatic coast of Italy
and I learned that
land in the beautiful hills there is dirt cheap these days. The
population is shrinking
and nobody wants to live in farm country anymore, so there are whole
abandoned
villages for sale for an apple and an egg. The government is even
giving away
property in some cases if you commit to restore old buildings and take
care of the land.

It wouldn't meet all your criteria, but the soil is good and there is
plenty of sun,
although rainfall is sparse. In the hills the main product is olives
for oil, but plenty
of other things (delicious figs, for example) grow without irrigation,
and in the
lowlands with irrigation they grow everything. With permaculture water
management one should be able to grow everything in those hills that can be
grown in any subtropical climate with minimal if any irrigation.

It's beautiful there, the people are friendly, and the food is
fantastic. I'm awfully
tempted myself, but I'm focusing on the tropics right now... ;-)

:j