permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Where is the ideal permaculture land?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Where is the ideal permaculture land?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 00:09:37 +0100

Hi Josh,
until I came to the "Ample sun throughout the year" bit, I thought, hey,
Ireland
might be the place for you.
Your email address tells me that you may well be happy here. :)
(Just kidding, I know you are looking to relocate within the US).
The climate change prediction for Ireland is for drier, warmer summers and
wetter, windier winters. However,
we have just had three totally washed out summers in a row, each one worse
than
the previous. This year we have had a good 10 inches of rain in July and
August
which is about 170% of the normal rainfall (1961-1990) during that period.
Last
year we had 150%. For the whole of 2008 we had 140% (51") the normal rainfall
(36.5"), this year 120% so far. And this is our region (mid-West) - some
others
fared worse still. Basically the ground has hardly ever dried off
in the past 24 months, mud everywhere, a disaster for farming and people are
getting seriously p***** off with the lack of sunshine and warmth. The last
time
I sat outside in the sun in the yard was in June. Wellies have not come off
since. We are used to rain, but not THIS MUCH. Fruit crops lack sun, chickens
are close to developing webbed feet. The poor critters haven't had a dustbath
in 2 months solid. Goats are unhappy as they can't take the rain.
Is this a fluke (did I miss a huge volcano eruption somewhere?) or did the
scientists get it totally wrong? This seems to be stirred up by a warmer
Atlantic
sending a continuous stream of low pressure fronts over the country. Scary.
So where is an ideal place? If I was to look in the US, yes, I would also
turn
to Oregon/Washington. The climate West of the Rockies seems to be kind and
well
suited to a huge range of crops and trees. Prices may be higher than
elsewhere,
but then with the recession a bargain may be had somewhere? What will climate
change do to that area? I guess only God knows, unless you have better
scientists than we do.
Wishing you all the best for your search. Follow your nose.
Ute