permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Drugs in urine

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Louis G. Laframboise" <esiobmarfal@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Drugs in urine
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 09:29:05 -0400

Lisa Rollens wrote:

>>In a recent organic gardening class that I teach I was passing on info
about using urine as a fertilizer and nitrogen source. I encouraged not
using urine from people >>using drugs, but didn't know exactly which drugs
should not be put into the environment. Hormones seems like a definite
no-no, but what about blood pressure >>drugs and all the rest??? I don't
think antibiotics are a problem...seems like I've read that they break down
in compost and in the soil. Would there be a difference if >>the urine is
diluted and used to fertilize or put in a compost pile with plenty of high C
sources?

>>Thanks for any help anyone can offer! Lisa, in the MO Ozarks

Lisa:

Check out Stephen Harrod Buhner's book "The Lost Language of Plants : The
Ecological Importance of Plant Medicines to Life On Earth". One chapter
focuses on the effects of technological medicine in general and another
looks at antibiotics. The antibiotics released are not benign. They continue
to be bioactive as well as continuing their evolution within the ecosystem.
Check out this very interesting book for insight into the things found in
our late Holocene urine stream flows as well as getting an a perspective on
the intelligence of plants and what happens when we take a 'universe as
machine' worldview.

Hope this helps.

Louis
Ottawa, Canada