permaculture - [permaculture] Drugs in urine

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Drugs in urine
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 22:09:52 -0500

Hi everybody,

In a recent organic gardening class that I teach I was passing on info about
using urine as a fertilizer and nitrogen source. I encouraged not using
urine from people using drugs, but didn't know exactly which drugs should not
be put into the environment. Hormones seems like a definite no-no, but what
about blood pressure drugs and all the rest??? I don't think antibiotics are
a problem...seems like I've read that they break down in compost and in the
soil. Would there be a difference if the urine is diluted and used to
fertilize or put in a compost pile with plenty of high C sources?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer! Lisa, in the MO Ozarks