permaculture - [permaculture] does perennial kale grow in your area?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] does perennial kale grow in your area?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:14:17 -0800

A friend in Portland, Oregon, was wondering if perennial kale would grow there. I was also wondering how far its range extends. It does very well in the SF Bay Area, where I've been eating it year-round. When it got down to 20 degrees F one winter, my young plant looked a little wilted but it revived easily.

In the book _Perennial Vegetables_, Eric Toensmeier calls it Brassica oleracea acephala 'Tree Collards' , 'Walking Stick Kale' -- "an heirloom variety or cluster of varieties" . He grew one variety from seed and was unimpressed by the "rubbery texture and strong cabbage flavor of the leaves" but said the one he grew from a cutting he got in Berkeley (with purple leaves in cool weather) "tastes fantastic."

I got one of my original plants from a cutting and the other at a plant exchange from a seed-grown plant identified as Walking Stick Kale. Both get purplish leaves in cooler weather and taste great.