permaculture - [permaculture] Fw: Permaculture Design Course plus Naturalist Immersion for Children at Camp Epworth

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fw: Permaculture Design Course plus Naturalist Immersion for Children at Camp Epworth
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 08:20:09 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 8/11/09, Joan Ewing <mamajoane@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Joan Ewing <mamajoane@yahoo.com>
Subject: Permaculture Design Course plus Naturalist Immersion for Children at
Camp Epworth
To: "Northeast Permaculture" <northeasternpermaculture@lists.riseup.net>
Date: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 9:44 AM

Dear Friends,

Please pass this announcement on to other folks who might be interested in
learning about this inspiring opportunity.

Peace,

Joan Ewing
and Wilton Duckworth

ADULT PERMACULTURE DESIGN CERTIFICATION COURSE alongside a NATURALIST
IMMERSION PROGRAM for CHILDREN
Sponsored by Green Phoenix Permaculture

PERMACULTURE is a set of tools and a process for designing a way to live
sustainably within our ecosystems and our communities. It is based on
observing nature and making connections
across disciplines and over
history, with the goal of meeting human
needs, while leaving the earth
healthier and more
abundant for future generations.

A unique opportunity for families. While adults participate in a permaculture
design course, children explore the natural world around them. An autumn to
spring program which allows an opportunity to experience both programs
through 3 seasons. Children ages 7 through 12 will be
accepted. Permaculture Design students are welcome with or without children.
This is a standard, 72 hour permaculture certificate course.

WHERE:  Epworth Camp and Retreat Center, High Falls, NY, 2 hours north of New
York City, 15 minutes from the Trailways Bus station in Rosendale.

WHEN: Six Weekends in 2009-2010. Resident students can arrive Friday evening.
PDC classes and children's programs take place on Saturday and Sunday [Sunday
for children of resident pdc students]

 2009: October 10-11, November 7-8, December 12-13
 2010: January 23-24, March 13-14, April 10-11

TEACHERS:
PERMACULTURE
DESIGN COURSE: Coordinating teacher Kay McGrenaghan Cafasso, with Andrew
Jones, Eric Toensmeier, Ethan Roland and other local guest teachers.
NATURALIST IMMERSION FOR CHILDREN: Coordinating teacher, Krista Oarcea and a
team of teachers,
assistants and mentors.

TEACHER BIOS:

Kay Cafasso is a certified permaculture designer, a permaculture design
course instructor and natural builder specializing in earthen finishes and
plasters for straw bale homes. She conducts many educational events and
courses, and offers permaculture design services and consultation for home
landscapes across the Northeast. She is inspired by the ability to recognize
beneficial patterns of nature in order to regenerate life systems in all
climates. Kay believes in thoughtful and holistic design of landscapes,
agriculture, dwellings and communities.

Krista Oarcea graduated from the Waldorf Institute at Sunbridge College in
1993. Krista founded and has taught for ten years the Morning Garden Home
Nursery Kindergarten, where she guides children to discover the wonders of
the earth and to attune to the
natural cycles of the year. She has led nature awareness programs for
children at Vermont's Art of Mentoring and Red Fox Friends. She is an
herbalist, wild-crafter, avid seedsaver and plant breeder, who mentors on
cultivating land stewardship with children.

COURSE DESCRIPTIONS:

PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE:

Students will study permaculture principals, woven through a range of topic
areas, using a variety of learning methods: lectures and interactive
discussions, slides and films, design exercises and hands on activities. Each
student will present a research project and a final design presentation.

Topics Include: Climate systems, Sustainable Agriculture, Annual and Forest
Gardening, Natural Building, Renewable Energy, Reading the landscape, Trees
and Ecological  Regeneration, Water and Alternative Waste Systems,
Bioremediation, Alternative Economies, Building Strong Communities and More...
Daily Schedule will be generally 9am-5:30, with some Saturday evening
programs.

NATURALIST IMMERSION FOR CHILDREN: [For children ages 7 through 12]
This unique program will provide a setting in which each child can rekindle
his or her innate connection to nature in an inspiring, safe, fun way.
Through nature-based games, arts activities and mentoring, children will:
Learn permaculture design principals and stewardship ethics, develop an
intimate, personal connection with nature,
explore tracking, species and the ecology of landscape and habitat,
participate in sensory awareness activities, practice
journaling, drawing and painting, have lots and lots of fun!  Daily schedule
will be generally 9am-5:30.

COST: Tuition, Lodging, Food

PERMACULTURE DESIGN COURSE: Sliding scale $800-$1500, with the possibility of
paying $700 if you bring another person. This cost covers tuition, lodging
and use of the facilities. Sliding scale is on an honor system. Please give
generously if you are able. This will help us meet our expenses and possibly
offer scholarships and work trade to students who cannot
afford the sliding scale. [Amounts between $1200-$1500 and over are
considered a tax deductible donation.]

Food: Food is potluck,
except for breakfasts, which are provided, and a welcome supper for
travelers on Friday evening. Students will be requested to provide prepared
food to cover specific meals and snacks for the group for Saturday and
Sunday. We have a history of eating fabulous food.

NATURALIST IMMERSION FOR CHILDREN:  Sliding scale $240-450 for Saturdays
[Open to the community] for all 6 weeks. [This comes to $40-75/day]. Sundays
[a small program especially for children of traveling permaculture
students] are also $240-450 [$40-75/day] for all 6 weeks. $480-900/weekend
for all 6 weeks.
As above, sliding scale is an honor system. Please give as generously as you
are able to help us meet expenses and provide possible scholarships. Amounts
over $450 are considered a tax deductible donation.

Food: Parents will be asked to provide lunches for their children. [We will
contact parents who are also traveling permaculture students as part of the
design course potluck.]

REGISTRATION:
1. In order to temporarily reserve a place in either program, please contact
Joan Ewing at 845-687-7646 or mamajoane@yahoo.com and let me know that you
want to register yourself for the pdc or your child for the children's
program.

2. In order to secure your or your child's place, please send a $100 deposit
check,
payable to Green Phoenix Permaculture with the appropriate attached
registration form to Green Phoenix Permaculture, 8 Epworth Lane, High Falls,
NY 12440

3. Deadline:  Please send in the full amount [payable to Green Phoenix
Permaculture] that you have agreed upon for either program in time to be
received by us by September 27. After that date, the $100 deposit will be non
refundable.

CONTACTS: Joan Ewing and Wilton Duckworth 845-687-7646 or
mamajoane@yahoo.com.  Feel free to contact us with questions. We can also
refer you to other staff and teachers for specific questions.