permaculture - Re: [permaculture] PC Design Course plus Naturalist Immersion for Children at Camp Epworth

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: ChildrensPeaceGuild <childrenspeaceguild@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] PC Design Course plus Naturalist Immersion for Children at Camp Epworth
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 07:19:53 -0700 (PDT)

I am an active member of our local Montessori school here in Silver City,
NM. Our school has a wonderful interactive gardening program for the
children and both the garden director and the school director have great
interest in utilizing our facility for an educational facility for school
gardening and interactive childrens gardening and Permaculture classes.

This is very exciting to hear. Charlie Headington wrote about Teaching
Permaculture in a Montessori
school in Permaculture Activist #53 (Fall '04)

(No,we are not going to make them dig swales or mosh in the Cob pit, that's
just
not right.)

Yes, but if they ever voluntarily join in mixing they might not ever
relinquish their turn on the tarp! I've found that there is little else
children love more than "mushin' da cob." My friend, who has taught natural
building workshops for years, says that children make the best cobbers. This
mirrors Masanobu Fukuoka who said that children are the best at distributing
seedballs

I have just completed my second Design Certification through the
Permaculture Institute here in New Mexico and, being the father of two
younger children, have noticed a lack of courses across the board which
benefit both the parents (current caregivers of the earth and people) and
their children (future caregivers).

As I understand it, more teachers are helping to arrange weekend courses or
set-up rotating child care among participants in order to help families
attend.

I believe that it is not beneficial to make children "Designers", but rather
to give them the experience they need to absorb the practices, ethics, and
principles of Permaculture; leaving the option for them to carry it on
through their lives or just let it rest in their minds. We cannot force
children to be who we want them to be; however, the more doors which have
been opened for them while they are young give them more options for
positive passage through the future.

I couldn't agree with you more! We can not force children to be anything, we
can only show them positive examples and offer constructive encouragement for
what they choose to do in life.

-Roman
Children's PEACE Guild
www.childrenspeaceguild.webs.com