permaculture - Re: [permaculture] PC Design Course plus Naturalist Immersion for Children at Camp Epworth

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Thomas Naisbitt <johntnaisbitt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] PC Design Course plus Naturalist Immersion for Children at Camp Epworth
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 08:52:39 -0600

I am an active member of our local Montessori school here in Silver City,
NM. Our school has a wonderful interactive gardening program for the
children and both the garden director and the school director have great
interest in utilizing our facility for an educational facility for school
gardening and interactive childrens gardening and Permaculture classes. (No,
we are not going to make them dig swales or mosh in the Cob pit, that's just
not right.) This has been a big topic in our discussions at the school
garden as to how we could integrate the two and still maintain the
Montessori Identity.......which comes first at our facility.....and are
currently in dicussions about how we can go about presenting this to our
board of directors in order to get something for the upcoming summer.

I have just completed my second Design Certification through the
Permaculture Institute here in New Mexico and, being the father of two
younger children, have noticed a lack of courses across the board which
benefit both the parents (current caregivers of the earth and people) and
their children (future caregivers).
After discussing this with the Institute, they did express that there was
interest in courses which cater to families and benefit the children's
experience. I understand there is a Childrens' Permaculture program at a
farm in Mora, NM and I need to look into what they are doing. This may be
the same place for the link you sent, thankyou.

I believe that it is not beneficial to make children "Designers", but rather
to give them the experience they need to absorb the practices, ethics, and
principles of Permaculture; leaving the option for them to carry it on
through their lives or just let it rest in their minds. We cannot force
children to be who we want them to be; however, the more doors which have
been opened for them while they are young give them more options for
positive passage through the future.

I greatly appreciate the reading list.....sometimes it is hard to get a good
start on a search for information as the WWW may have gotten too "big for
it's britches".

John