permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rainwater harvesting pond story

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Suraj Kumar <suraj@sunson.in>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rainwater harvesting pond story
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:44:23 +0530

Hi Guys,

Your questions are all valid and my ideal shaped pond would have
looked exactly like a bowl. Minimal surface area, maximum volume. A
smoothly sloping pond would be, to mathematically put it, made up of
an infinite number of steps. In my case, its just 3 steps.

Each step decreases surface area of water exposed to sunlight.

However, the JCB operator mentioned in advance that the cost of the
operation will be proportionally expensive and time consuming - hence
we had to settle with 3 steps.

Cheers,

-Suraj