permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Composting toilets

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mathew Waehner" <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Composting toilets
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 08:38:42 -0400

I think Giardia would have no problem surviving a year in a refrigerator,
or ordinary soil.

What I found missing from Joseph Jenkins excellent humanure book was the
need to isolate your manure pile from water systems and protect it from
potential torrential rains or floods. You would want to do that even with
perfectly sterile manure to prevent nutrient pollution and eutrophiciation
in the water.