permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Rainwater - distilled water - ok for only source ofwater?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Rainwater - distilled water - ok for only source ofwater?
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 11:23:04 -0700

Many folks in and around the city of Ketchikan Alaska have had to rely on
roof catchment systems and cisterns for all their household water for years.
Never heard of any problems other than what happens in years of low
rainfall, then they have to rely on trucked in water that's then deposited
in their cisterns. I'd think there might be more issues from air-borne
particulate pollution ending up in the cisterns and thus in folks' bodies
than from rainwater, which isn't really distilled water, it definitely has
'stuff' in it.

Seems to me there are also villages in the seacoast mountains of Chile that
rely solely on mist nets to supply their drinking water. Can't imagine but
what there are many more examples around the planet of folk's subsisting on
either rainfall or collected dew as the majority of their drinking water.

Kate