permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Composting toilets

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: yarrow@sfo.com
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Composting toilets
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 19:48:14 -0700

At 9:20 AM +1000 5/22/08, Nick Ritar wrote:
It's all about leaving the humanure to break down for an extended period. As
Hamish said to me "Even if you kept a pooh in the fridge after 12 months it
would be safe enough to eat". A disgusting thought, but somehow re-assuring.

Hmm, I wonder if this has been tested. With talk of food shortages around the world and people making flatbreads with clay, butter, salt, and water, I wonder if aged predigested organics might be a better base. Intuitively, I agree, ick.

"Waste is food" -- the extreme case.

(Seriously, I'm in awe of the Poo Dude and others doing this pioneering work.)