permaculture - [permaculture] Rainwater - distilled water - ok for only source of water?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jody Troupe <jodyt2@mac.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Rainwater - distilled water - ok for only source of water?
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 13:18:28 -0400

Hello all-

Just throwing out a question that has come up on another discussion board. I'm following an ongoing disagreement about the use of distilled water as a sole source of drinking water (does it leach minerals, etc.)

Of the people that choose to use water catchment systems, its stands to reason that there might be some that have to use that rain water exclusively as their water source (no well potential, no piped water, no bottled). Would relying on rain water as your only source of water actually be a problem? Its naturally distilled.

Or, I've seen some designs for sun water distillers for countries that have no access to clean water sources. They can distill their own water with this sort of Teepee-looking thing, but again, it would be distilled water.

Does anyone have a comment, or have any actual experience with this? Doesn't it seem weird that naturally distilled water would be bad for a person? For some, it might their only source of drinking water.

Thanks,
JodyT