permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Plastic v. Stainless Steel

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Laurence Gaffney" <lgaffney@bigpond.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Plastic v. Stainless Steel
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:40:41 +1100

Robyn Francis wrote:-

> We need to think more in terms of generations of use for all our stuff -
> changing the consume/discard
> mentality fostered in recent decades is one of the biggest challenges we
> face.

Yes and our housing is now almost throw away. The Australian Building Code
does not specifically address overall design life/ durability of domestic
housing but as near as I can tell it is now generally of the order of 30 - 50
Years in Australia.

Perhaps the durability of materials and how to design for a long life could
become a module in future Permaculture Design Courses.

Laurence Gaffney