permaculture - Re: [permaculture] which less impact? - steel bottles or occasional plastic?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Harmon Seaver <hseaver@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] which less impact? - steel bottles or occasional plastic?
  • Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 12:01:34 -0600

David Glober wrote:
> Esteemed List:
>
> Some one suggested to me recently that my stainless steel Klean Kanteen
> bottle has more embedded energy in it, and therefore more impacts, than
> mounds of plastic bottles, and if I need to take water with me on long
> walks or hikes, I'm better off reusing plastic.
>
> http://www.kleankanteen.com/
>
> I'm new to the list, so sorry if this is a recent topic. Facts and info
> would be appreciated.
>
> Also - does this make a Thermos bottle a bad idea for soup or tea?
>
> Thanks - david glober, san francisco

Whoever told you that is an idiot. The energy is totally irrelevant.
Plastic bottles are very unhealthy, they leach nasty things into the
beverage. Use steel bottles, or, if you have to use plastic, use only
HDPE or polypropylene, nothing else is even remotely safe, especially
not those nagalene (lexan) water bottles sold to campers, hikers, etc.
Steel is best, I've got a nice Nissan stainless bottle for cold water,
and another for hot stuff.

--
Harmon Seaver