permaculture - [permaculture] conservatism (was: re. Lactoferments)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Travis <djtravis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] conservatism (was: re. Lactoferments)
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 21:30:37 +0000

Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 10:19:21 -0800 (PST)
From: Dieter Brand

>I'm not going to defend consumerism, nor am I adverse to
>bashing the Monsantos of this World. That is the good fight.
>Yet, that economic system, with all its imperfections, is all
>we have got. There are changes ahead with the resources
>of this planet being as limited as they are. The system will
>stay stable as long as it has enough flexibility to adapt to
>the changes needed. And if you look into history or at other
>cultural spheres you are unlikely to find other models that
>provide more flexibility.

I'm always amazed -- and I'm speaking generally about many of my fellow
permaculturists here -- at how the so many of the same people who think we
can radically and creatively alter the way we eat, drink, live, work, and
relate to the Earth are often paradoxically willing to throw up their hands
at politics and economics, making oddly definitive claims about how
capitalism, corporatism, or any other aspect of business-as-usual is "just
the way it is" or "all that we've got" or "here to stay". It's really
interesting (and at times frustrating) to see such extremely conservative
notions finding widespread acceptance among an otherwise farsighted and "big
picture"-oriented movement.

- David

Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your HotmailĀ®-get your
"fix".