permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Reeds and Cattails

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kai Vido <kaivido@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Reeds and Cattails
  • Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 16:08:55 -0800 (PST)

--- "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net> wrote:

> What are the full Latin and common names for these plants:
>
> Juncus, Scirpus and Typha

Juncus= Rush (not Limbaugh)
Scirpus= Bulrush (common name also applied to other genera)
Typha= Cattail

More info at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juncus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scirpus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typha

Here in inland New Brunswick, zone 3b, we have an abundance of Juncus
effusus and J. bufonius, Typha latifolia, and several species of
Scirpus.

Typha (cattail) is particularly noteworthy because nearly every part of
the plant is edible, not necessarily as daily fare but as a nutritious,
palatable and widely available "survival food". The abundant (in
season) pollen has an excellent flavour and the immature flower heads
are quite good as "corn on the cob". Likewise the first shoots in early
spring; the roots I've never tried, but they are very starchy and were
used as flour. A Permaculture plant...?

Bon appetit!

Kai