permaculture - Re: [permaculture] reed beds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] reed beds
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 11:36:03 -0800

Anecdotal evidence: I have a 3x20 foot (1x6m) reedbed for our greywater system. Our summers are essentially rainless (western Oregon, US), very low humidity, with temps in the 80s F (low 30s C) much of the summer. The reedbed is in partial shade in the midafternoon, which I would recommend for dry climates if you can. It's also well mulched. I get plenty of water from it; never measured the outflow versus inflow, but at 25-75 gallons (okay, you do the conversion to metric this time!) a day input, there's lots to irrigate with.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com