permaculture - Re: [permaculture] re. Lactoferments

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] re. Lactoferments
  • Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 04:55:41 -0500

SArjuna@aol.com wrote:

Lawrence wrote:

"The kim chee/kraut foods are truly ambrosia-class delicacies and keep you in
top health, vital when lab cultured biodiverse probiotics are not available."

I look at it quite differently. Lactofermenting a variety of foods at home is part of permaculture, not just something to do "when buying lab-cultured biodiverse probiotics are not available!"

We're on the same wavelength. Grow, store, preserve, prepare and eat at home;
focus on the homestead microcosm. Ideal.

For ages, people all over the world have made and eaten lactoferments. Only in modern commercial society have "consumers" started buying lab-cultured probiotics.

For many it is life saving and introduces them to consuming probiotics
on a regular basis and preparing their own. They have to start somewhere to
break the addiction to
bad food and bad diet and poor nutrition.

How did people change from being makers of things to "consumers?"

When it seemed OK to be lazy. Or when they had "disposable" income.
Back to basics for them.

Shivani in WI

Mollison has written a good book on ferment and human nutrition.

LL