permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Creek remediation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David <david@h4c.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Creek remediation
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 08:53:21 -0800

Jay,

Jay Woods wrote:
It would be fun to have beavers established on the creek. That would get the pond started without much labor on your part. The question that I would have is what would be attractive to a beaver? Starting a grove o food trees would help convince a captured and released beaver to stay. Cottonwoods and alders are selected for here in Omaha but are not interesting trees.
Interesting thought, for sure. I had forgotten, in fact, but there was at one time several years ago something in the creek, probably a beaver (I never saw it, I am no expert in animal tracks, etc., and I did not take pictures) which chewed down some of the smaller trees and-- by appearances-- started to build a dam. But it left or was killed. At present I have 16 goats in the woods, and there is a family of coyotes living there too, almost certainly because of the cover provided by the blackberries which grow profusely over about a third of the wooded area.

The two main problems with a beaver or beavers is that I would have no control over where they decided to build the pond(s), and their idea of good building materials might be my idea of a valuable source of food.

d.

--
David William House
503-678-5162 (home)

"The Complete Biogas Handbook" www.completebiogas.com

"Make no search for water. But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in Delight of Hearts, p. 77)