permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ferrocement water tank pix

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keoni West <keoni.west@hawaiiantel.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ferrocement water tank pix
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:58:18 -1000

Get Art Ludwig's "Water Storage" and/or "Rainwater Catchment Systems for domestic supply" by Gould and Nissen-Petersen, both have plenty plans and details for multiple sizes of FC tanks, closest I've seen to "DIY books" for FC water tanks.

- KW

Charles de Matas wrote:
For cylindrical tanks, I think only the hoop stress needs to be
considered. There will not be any bending stresses in the walls, only
tensile stresses which can easily be calculated. The hoop stess will
be proportional to the depth of water and the diameter of the tank.
One then has to make the walls thick enough to withstand these
stresses, but this requires knowledge of the properties of
ferrocement. How much labour/time is involved in making these tanks? Anyone building one of these tanks should let others know, they may
want to join in the work to get some hands-on experience.

Constant Gardener

Lawrence wrote: Nice work. What design factors are required to give
it enough vertical and circumferential structural rigidity to keep
it from bursting from hydrostatic pressure and is the concrete
thicker at the base that near the top? _________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's
FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/